Advantages of Using PROVOTON Foam Concrete
1. High strength with low density
Typical cast densities range from 25 to 55 pcf, with compressive strengths of 40 to 750 psi, respectively. With its low
density, foam concrete imposes little vertical stress on the substructure, a particularly important issue in areas sensitive
to settlement. Due to its low density, foam concrete is a viable solution for reducing loading on burdened soil.
Additionally, foam concrete is less susceptible to differential settlement. Heavier density foam concrete with higher
strengths is produced and used for specialty applications.
lightweight backfill, bridge abutment backfill, abutment backfill
2. Rigid, well-bonded body
PROVOTON foam concrete forms a rigid, well-bonded body after gelling (hydrating); thus, it is effectively a freestanding
structure on its own and does not impose lateral loads on adjacent structures. The material can be constructed into
various formations and profiles by forming and stepping of successive lifts. Foam concrete can also be machined to
create a desired effect.
load reduction, lightweight fill, load reducing, load-reducing
3. No Compaction Required
In some cases mechanical compaction can be difficult and unsafe due to limited or inaccessible areas. In excavations
with poor soils that are not easily or incapable of being compacted, PROVOTON foam concrete forms a 100% compacted
foundation over the soft soils. When compaction of conventional backfill against retaining structures or deep
foundations, traditional methods can cause damage or movement to the adjacent structure or just be too time consuming.
In these instances, PROVOTON foam concrete is a great solution.
lightweight retaining wall backfill, MSE wall backfill, lateral load reduction fill
4. High Fluidity
Foam concrete pumps easily with relatively low pressures via hose over long distances. For applications over 4000'
such as pipe in tunnel backfill, the slurry is pumped through pipe with the pre-formed foam injected near the point of
placement. The material is naturally self-leveling and fills the smallest voids, cavities and seams. When placing in
excavations, foam concrete conforms to every sub grade contour.
lightweight sub base, foam concrete sub-base, soil stabilization, unsuitable soils, poor underlying soils
5. Rapid Installation
High volume production and placement (via hose) of foam concrete is a continuous operation from a mobile central
plant on location. Since the foam is the largest volume contributor in foam concrete, limited deliveries of the raw materials
are required, which results in minimal disruption to the construction site.
Operational & Cost Efficiencies
1. Settlement Free Construction
The principle of equilibrium and the use of PROVOTON foam concrete aims for settlement-free construction. When
higher density soils are excavated, they are replaced with foam concrete, so that the combined weight of the foam
concrete and the new construction is less than or equal to the weight of the removed soil. Thus the effective stress of
the underlying soil has not changed, preventing settlements.
tunnel backfill, mine backfill, backfill grout, low density backfill, pipe in tunnel backfill, insulanting concrete
2. Ease of Removal
Foam concrete can be designed for specific strengths to allow for future removal for maintenance of utilities or excavation.
Sometimes excavation of CLSM or flowable fill materials can be difficult due to unpredictable gains in strength
due to delivery and production methods. PROVOTON foam concrete is produced on location to exact requirements,
and can be easily excavated with common construction equipment.
Freeze/Thaw resistance, foam concrete production equipment, production of foam concrete
3. Time Savings
The application of PROVOTON foam concrete can be a great time saver over conventional ground treatment methods
for settlement free construction.
Energy absorbing material, Foam Generators
- No waiting period for consolidation of sub soils, eliminating the need for surcharging
- No need for removal and replacement with large amounts of borrow soils
- Removal of minimal amount of soil to be replaced with PROVOTON foam concrete
- Can be applied directly on existing marginal ground such as peat or poor soils
- Reduce or eliminate the need for piling, sand drains, or grade beams
- Deeper placement of lifts, due to reduced lateral loading and no compaction steps
- Eliminate the need to correct completed construction which has settled
4. Cost Savings
PROVOTON foam concrete is an economically viable solution, particularly in large volume applications. Its use can
also have an effect on other aspects of construction.
Thermal insulating properties, thermal insulation, protein foam concentrate, protein foam agent, protein-based foaming agent, protein based foam concentrates, foaming agent
- Mix designs are tailor-made for the project and budget requirements
- Minimal lateral loading enables reduced building costs for earth retaining structures
- Construction on marginal ground reducing the need for piled foundations
- Lower maintenance costs because durability of foam concrete and lack of settlements
- Innovative methods to correct or prevent subsidence in lieu of expensive treatments
- High volume equipment with rapid installation reduces installed unit cost